We share the root causes behind frizz–and how to get rid of frizzy hair for good.
Whether your hair is straight, wavy or curly, no hair texture or hair type is immune from the dreaded “frizz factor.” But before we share how to get rid of frizzy hair, let’s begin by discussing what, exactly, causes frizz.
Frizz is the result of a raised and weakened cuticle layer of the hair,” Paul Dobbert (@pauldobbert), Keratin Complex Director of Education, shares. Frizzy hair is caused by several factors: humidity; lack of moisture; using the wrong hair products; genetics; hair type; overwashing; and towel-drying. Obviously, some of these aspects are beyond your control (hello, weather and genetics!), but you can certainly help to get rid of frizzy hair by washing properly and using the correct products. Read on for eight easy ways to give frizz the boot.
1. Minimize Friction
Dobbert shares that when towel-drying or even while washing hair, minimizing friction is key. “Hair is a fragile fabric and over-scrubbing or agitating the follicles can have a negative impact on the hair cuticle,” Dobbert says. “Lightly massaging product through the hair and focusing an even distribution of product down the hair shaft can help to not aggravate the cuticle.”
2. Regulate Shower Temperature
It’s not a myth: Water temperature truly matters when you’re waging a war on frizzy hair. “The best temperature for washing hair is a personal preference, but when the temperature is too hot, the hair's natural oils and the specific nourishing ingredients of the shampoo and conditioner used can be loosened and ultimately removed,” Dobbert explains. “When the temperature is too cold, these same oils and ingredients can often harden on the hair, causing a buildup on the hair’s outer layer.” Think warm–but not scalding-hot–water.
3. Pick the Proper Products
Choose moisturizing shampoos, conditioners, masks and other products that work to calm frizz and nourish hair from the inside out. Since frizzy hair is often caused by humidity (dry, damaged hair seeks this outside moisture source, which, in turn, results in frizz), fortifying your hair with ultra-hydrating products will help treat the problem. Also, avoid products with ingredients that may not work for your specific hair type or worse, harm your hair. “Using products that have cuticle-healing and nourishing ingredients–like protective keratin protein–can help close the cuticle, which locks in moisture and protects the inner structure of hair from damage,” Dobbert says.
4. Protect from Heat
While blow-drying or styling hair with a thermal iron, opt for heat protection so as not to exacerbate dry strands and add more damage to the hair. Thermal protectants provide a barrier between heat tools and hair, locking in moisture and thus combating frizz. Oftentimes, these products also contain silkening silicones and/or oils that work to lend a smooth appearance to the hair cuticle.
5. Trim Regularly
Routine trims really do help to avoid breakage. By cutting “just a bit off the ends,” you’re greatly decreasing the risk of damage caused by split ends. Although it differs for each individual, the rule of thumb is for short hair, a small trim every four weeks is ideal. Those who have medium or long hair can typically wait a bit longer between trims–approximately six to eight weeks.
6. Use a Microfiber Towel
Not only are microfiber towels super-absorbent and work to dry hair faster–their smoother surface area is gentle on locks, which reduces the potential for frizz.
7. Sleep on a Silk Pillowcase
Since cotton absorbs moisture (from the hair and skin!), choose a silk pillowcase to retain moisture levels and keep manes fuzz-free in the morning.
8. Detangle Thoroughly
Use a liquid hair detangler to stave off breakage, and select a wide-tooth comb or detangling brush to avoid snags and friction. WetBrush offers an array of brushes and combs designed for this purpose.
“Anyone can control their frizzy hair; it’s just a matter of implementing the proper practices into your haircare routine,” reminds Dobbert. “Remember to never underestimate the value of using the right products–preferably ones that contain ingredients like keratin that seal the hair cuticle to repair damage and block humidity that can cause frizz. Don’t give up if you feel frizz is getting the upper hand; with these tactics, even the most ‘difficult’ locks can be transformed into gorgeous, healthy-looking hair.”
Looking for the perfect frizz-control products? Check out these mane must-haves from Keratin Complex.
In the Shower
Prep hair for a frizz-free beginning by using Keratin Complex Color Care Smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner. The color-safe smoothing shampoo and conditioner tap a Signature Keratin-infused formula to fight frizz and flyways as well as lay down the foundation for all-day smoothness and style control.
On Damp, Towel-Dried Hair
Mist Keratin Obsessed Multi–Benefit Treatment Spray onto towel-dried strands for an immediate smoothing result. The all-in-one leave-in spray is formulated with effective frizz-controlling ingredients such as Signature Keratin, hydrolyzed silk amino acids and coconut oil. Other benefits: increases manageability; dramatically reduces blow-dry time; eliminates frizz; strengthens; intensifies color vibrancy; softens and leaves hair feeling like silk. Bonus! You can also spray onto hair the next day to refresh your style.
For a Demipermanent Solution
Keratin Complex offers an array of award-winning salon professional Signature Keratin-fueled hair smoothing treatments that provide frizz control, smoothness and nourishment for healthy hair.
- Keratin Complex NKST (Natural Keratin Smoothing Treatment) allows you to enjoy up to five months of smooth, shiny, manageable hair with the brand’s award-winning original smoothing solution.
- Keratin Complex NKSTB (Natural Keratin Smoothing Treatment for Blonde Hair) is a reparative treatment for those with blonde, gray, white, fragile or overprocessed strands so that they may experience up to five months of smooth, shiny, manageable hair.
- Keratin Complex KCEXPRESS is a color-locking, speedy hair-smoothing solution that delivers polished, more manageable tresses with results that last up to six weeks. KCEXPRESS takes 15 minutes when added to a color service or only one hour when used as a standalone service.
- Keratin Complex KCMAX is a transformative three-step maximum-strength keratin-smoothing system that combines Signature Keratin with the most advanced smoothing technology to deliver straighter, smoother and healthier hair that lasts up to three months.
- Keratin Complex PBO customizable treatment is powered by K-Pure Juice™ to provide frizz control and maximize hair smoothness for up to three months.
- Keratin Complex KCSMOOTH is a two-step Heat Activated System fueled by a proprietary blend of Signature Keratin, antioxidants and amino acids to deliver major manageability and stronger, healthier hair for up to three months.
- Keratin Complex KCTEXTURE is a unique curly keratin treatment designed to enhance and define curly, kinky and coily hair types while restoring hair’s essential moisture.
Subscribe for More Hair Care Tips!